Friday, January 20, 2012

The Famous And Fabulous And Tremendously Missed Grandy

My heart is broken right now.  One day we will be able to start to put the pieces back together but it will never, ever be whole again like it was before January 7.  The patriarch of this great family that I was lucky enough to marry into left us many years before we ever thought we would have to say good bye.  I knew that Randy was wildly popular around the city, I don't know if I have ever been anywhere with him where he didn't happen to see at least one person he knew.  And it didn't matter if that person was another prominent business man or his favorite greeter at Cracker Barrel, they were all met with a huge grin and bear hug.  Everyone he met was treated to the same expression of sheer excitement to have run into them.  To say that Randy was truly one of the happiest people I have ever known would be an understatement.

One thing that makes me happiest of all is knowing that I had something to do with giving Grandy 2 of his most precious gifts in life, Grady and Caroline.  His life literally revolved around those 2.  The week before he passed away while driving to Myrtle Beach upon learning that I would be late at work he offered to turn around and go pick up the babies.  He didn't offer it like many of us do, just to be nice or something to say in passing.  He meant every word of it and nothing would have made his day more than to turn that car around and go straight to day care.

His visitation was unlike anything I have ever been to.  It turns out when you are genuinely a good, happy person who cares about every person you meet, they care about you too.  There was a 2 hour wait for all of Randy's friends to pay their respects to the family.  2 hours!  It wasn't a deterrent though.  Each person patiently waited and looked at pictures of the good times Randy shared with family and reflected on fond memories with one another.  Many friends came from other states, one particular person flew in from Chicago.  This gesture brought tears to Kathy's eyes.  My heart melted when 2 of Grady's teachers came through to pay their respects and tears came to my eyes the next morning when their day care director called to make sure she had the correct directions to the church.

It seems that everything I am surrounded by reminds me of Grandy.  My office elevators remind me of a day I met him a few blocks away and he had bought Grady a huge box of candy.  Every time I get in the elevators a picture of Grady sitting next to his Grandy on that bench, both smiling from ear to ear, pops in my head.  I see his face when I look at my little Grady, I feel his big hugs when I start to get sad and need some comfort, I hear his laugh when I sit back and smile at the fond memories.

For the 54 short years that Randy was on this earth, he accomplished more than I could dream of accomplishing in an entire lifetime.  If I could take one lesson from him it would be to enjoy life, every minute of it and everything in it.  The people, the food, the surroundings and in true Randy fashion, the good red wine.  I love you more than I could have ever expressed to you Grandy and I miss you so very dearly.  Watch over us from up there...Grady and Caroline have their very own special angel now.  

1 comment:

Woody Pop said...

Amanda, That was very well said. Randy was a very special man with a wonderful kind heart. His passing has touched me in away that no other has. Love you.